Monday, July 26, 2010

Mad Men: My New Ad-diction



“Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. It’s freedom from fear. It’s a billboard on the side of the road that screams reassurance that anything you are doing is okay” – Don Draper

Four seasons later, I finally decided to incorporate some "Mad Men" in my life. This much talked about series has been on my que list, clearly, for some time now. After watching four episodes into the first season, I'm hooked, or shall I say mad about the show! It helps that the storyline is centered around the advertising industry, a world I am so eager and passionate about. It is stimulating to compare and contrast the ad men of today, to the ad men of 40 years past. While the industry men today are appealingly casual and suited up when necessary, the men of the 60's shmoozed in suits on a daily basis. Women of that day also held a much different and limiting role. Not that I am surprised, but judging from a mere four episodes, these secretarial women were essentially bait for the rather sleezy, married, yet well admired ad men.

It is clear that there will be a lot of character development throughout the series, as is usually the case. Matthew Weiner, the shows writer and executive producer, reveals each characters struggle and uncertainty about who they are from the very start. I have to play a lot of catch up to the fourth season, but I am interested to see what's to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment